Newry township was
set aside in 1861 and the first sixteen lots sold in 1868. It grew to be
the centre of one of the most fertile farming areas in the district and was
known for some time as the "grain bowl of the Gippsland plains". Dairy
farms were established and a branch of the Melbourne Fresh Food and Storage
Company opened in 1877. It was replaced by the Upper Maffra Butter and
Cheese factory in 1905. The Upper Maffra Mechanics' Institute opened in
1883; the hall is still in use. In its heyday the town boasted three churches, a
well-known hotel, shops and a post office.
Today it serves as a dormitory
village for district workers and retirees. The Newry Golf Club,
established in 1948, is a well known Gippsland feature; the Motocross Track
is the racing home of the Maffra Sale Motorcycle Club.
There is a range of local accommodation within a 15km
radius, with further-afield accommodation at Sale and Traralgon.